Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Blog 14 short analysis draft







Blog 14 short analysis draft


                                      Teacher's Comments on a Student's paper.

     Language is more than spoken words. (Do research here) The comments teachers make on students paper is a form of communication from the professor to the writer.  It serves as a teaching coaching technique. I seek to investigate what role language plays in the revision process by analyzing the teacher’s comments on a student’s paper. This student’s paper is a simply a draft in the working process where audience expectation and purpose are the driving force in revision.
      The writing process involves many revision strategies.  Every writer has unique revisions methods operative for his own goal.  For instance, I like to do a series of alterations over days and weeks.  Allowing my writing to sit for a couple of days and then returning to make changes permits me to look at my text in a new way.  This is when I am most able to express what I want to express in an intended manner.  Most of the time, I have someone look over my writing before turning it in to the professor.  This is a friend or a classmate with whom I feel comfortable asking to serve as detective of grammatical errors.  Once I am satisfied at my final draft, I seek to see find out how my writing is coming across to the reader.  After all, we write for so that the reader receives our message. For me, having someone read my writing at loud is my most important and best revision strategies. I prefer to dig deep in audience expectations at the final draft because it is where I discover hitches and check for tone.  However, the audience is present at certain degree during every drafting process from beginning to the end.  A writer possesses purpose and audience awareness and the two are the driving forces in creating text and leading the revisions. 


The Purpose and The Audience 
 

     There are many revision strategies derived from a teacher comments. Obviously, a student would want to meet the audience expectation who in this case is the teacher. The teacher provides the assignment, so the student will write and revise to meet the assignment guideline. The assignment serves several purposes within the purpose some which include learning from the teacher’s objective. The student makes improvement to get to the level where the teacher can see his progress. The student might say, “I am doing this assignment because it is school requirement designed to improve my learning”. Most likely, however, the student will make changes to his paper to get a good grade. If the teacher does not see the learning in the student’s work, well then the student will not get a good grade. The student's professor commented on the back of the paper that the draft is overloaded with information and that this amount makes it hard to see what is important. Furthermore, the teacher gives recommendation on how to go about making such improvement. At hand, I do not have a revised copy so see changes by the student. But, I can guarantee that this specific revision is not overlooked, ignored or left undone because otherwise the assignment requirement would not have been met. Students know not to under estimate this type of suggestions since this would earn a bad grade. There are many comments of suggestions and needs for clarification that the student must make for the paper to be a good paper.  A student good work is a representation of effectively learning.  The student has to make the improvement to get to the level where the teacher can see his progress and he can get a good grade.

Through Compliments, Suggestions and Uncertainty
To work with the date, I have numbered the comments.  Then I analyzed their meanings and found the following:

Data under Complements:
1.  I like the opening hook up to here.
2.  This overview works well.
3.  Herrick's textbook is a good place to start.
5. These points are clear.
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment