Thursday, May 9, 2013

blog 29 final research



Maritza Rodriguez

Break the Barriers
Introduction


     My story is the story of most Hispanics’ formative years. My grandparents did not learn to read 

and my uncles and my mother solely received an elementary education. Growing up in American, I 

was alone in the world of education and these pursuits resulted difficult as I did not have parental 

support that could help me be successful. I lived in life’s scarceness both economically and 

educationally. However, my goal was to change the course of my life and I worked for that 

achievement. I grew up hearing family members speak against the destructive and delinquent 

behaviors of our streets. Staying away from certain behaviors fitted moral values conceded to me. My

family’s strong believes in honest hard work, stands memorable in my heart.  I pursued and worked 

for a better future. This prevented me from being one more number in statistics. Even though a low rate of minorities’ college graduates exists, many adolescents aspire for a bright future.  Kazdin (1993) stated that at-risk referred to the "increased likelihood over base rates in the population that a particular outcome will occur" (p. 129).  For my research paper, I interviewed an adolescent who fits the definition of “at risk”.  First, I will explain for alarming statistics depicting the low percentage of Hispanics graduates.  I seek to investigate his chances of obtaining an education and how he sees his situation.  For purpose of the study, I will call him Andres.
Literature review
     For Hispanics in the United States, the educational experience is one of accumulated 

disadvantages. Many Hispanic students begin formalized schooling without the economic and social 

resources that many other students receive, and schools are often ill equipped to compensate for 

these initial disparities. For Hispanics, initial disadvantages often stem from parents' immigrant and 

socioeconomic status and their lack of knowledge about the U.S. education system. Initial 

disadvantages continue to accumulate, resulting in Hispanics having the lowest rates of high school 

and college degree attainment, which hinders their chances for stable employment. The situation of 

Hispanic educational attainment is cause for national concern. Given the growth of Hispanic 

population in the United States, most notably in the past decade, and the increasing importance of a 

college degree even for entry jobs, the barriers Hispanics face in realizing their educational ambitions

is a major concern.  Despite high educational expectations, Hispanics are among the least educated 

group in the United States: 11 percent of those over age 25 have earned a bachelor's degree or higher 

compared with 17 percent of blacks, 30 percent of whites, and 49 percent of Asian Americans in the 

same age group. Today, most parents and their children believe that a college degree is necessary for 

obtaining stable and meaningful work. [1]

Case Study/Gee’s Building tasks of language
Significance

     The interview took place in the family’s residence.  The first question I asked Andre was to tell me about his goals and he said he intended to attend college once he finishes High School and that he might pursuit to be a detective.  During the interview I asked Andre how he sees himself.  He said “I see himself as a normal regular person who wants to succeed like everyone else in this world”.  In this statement, he made a comparison between everyone else and himself. This statement represents a difference exists between people of success and him which is the realization or culmination of education. The fact that he began the sentence with “I see myself” as if defending himself against how others actually see him reflects that he sees that others see him different.  This is further supported by choices of words and the way he answered the following question:  “How do you think people see you”?  “I don't really mind how people see me”, “I really mind how my family sees me, but people not related to me, I don't care”.
     Overall, Andres considers himself “normal”, capable of aspiring for achievement as we all do.  But, I insist that something is keeping him from achieving success.  I proceed to explain as follows.  Even though he states “There are no obstacle one the way,” it seemed to me by the tone of voice, that this he stated as an effort to reassure himself that he will break through barriers because he is resilient enough.  Here, he tries to make himself strong in order to “make it” which means obtain his goals. Certain doors are closed making, it difficult to reach his goals.  This is further reflected by the statement, “If I keep repeating that I can, then I will”.  In addition, he said, “There are people who come from way worse situation than I and they make it and if they make it, I can make it too”. In this line, Andres’s language usage indicated that his situation is not ideal; indicate of a struggle, but one he surely will overcome. 
Identity
     The fact that he said, “There are people who come from worse situation than I do reflects that he is not “normal” as he thinks he is.  His situation, which I previously described, is the struggle he must endure.  This is also sign of position as compared to those who achieve academic success. The fact that he said it with assertion indicated willingness to fight until he succeeds. The tone of his voice was defensive indicating his believes in his rights to have success like everyone else and that nothing should stand on his way of his pursuits. In a sense, he is creating a future through language by repeated efforts of his convictions.  For example, he said, “If I keep repeating it to myself, then I will make it”.  This is his effort to create new identity of what would be his new self.  In the end, success would means obtaining an education and being able to get a good paying job to live comfortable. Being able to change his life for the better, means that he will no longer be subjected to live in need of the basic necessities money provides. James Gee defines identity as:  “Being recognized as a certain “kind of person,” in a given context. In this context he can also create a social identity because he would be able to expand into certain circles.  Various discourses he does not belong, he enters through educational achievements.    
Relationship
     Now, a person who does not have a college degree has little opportunity of obtaining a good paying job which the reason why he desires to attend college.  Yet, he elected to attend a vocational school which does not measure up to a High school education and leaves little room for his acceptance into college.  A good paying job is only attainable through a college education and for that purpose, a High School education is most appropriate because that edification prepares us for college work.  Therefore, I asked Andres how come he elected to attend a vocational school instead High School.  He responded that at first he wanted to attend High School, but that his Mom did not want him to because of school fights at the High School. His mother as authority figure at home and in life sets certain standards.  In this case, the alternate route he selected was not his choice but that of his mother.  Therefore, this is a control measure in his life decision making. As a result, the authority figure impacts the outcomes and what Andres creates of his future. 
Conclusion
     After conducting the case study and analyzing the language, it substantially revealed that while it is true that struggles exist, it is up to the individuals to judge situations and thereby how to proceed.  Andres’s hunger for success and interest in changing his life seems to overpower indicates.  However, variance in situations from individuals to individuals must be acknowledged.  At instances, youth are highly disadvantaged when parents do not expose them to literacy. Too many factors implicates why a person does not obtain a college degree.  Obtaining an education is paramount importance. Hispanics in particular face many barriers that should be address as a nation. Nevertheless, personal will power matters.  Many times, our life path has barriers and obstacles that we must break in order to change or achieve rewards.  We should fight with all our might to change the course of actions, because those rewards are not only for us, but for our family and our society as a whole.

References
1. Schhneider B, Martinez S, Owens A. Barriers to Educational Opportunities for Hispanics in the United States. In: National Research Council (US) Panel on Hispanics in the United States; Tienda M, Mitchell F, editors. Hispanics and the Future of America. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2006. 6. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK19909


[1]

No comments:

Post a Comment