Tuesday, May 7, 2013

blog 26



Introduction
Growing up in American, I was alone in the world of education and these pursuits resulted strenuous as I did not have parental support that could help me be successful. My story is the story of most Hispanics’ formative years. My grandparents did not learn to read and my uncles and my mother solely received an elementary education. I experienced and observed life’s scarceness both economically and educationally.  However, my goal was to change the course of my life and I worked for that achievement. Fortunately, I grew up hearing family members speak against the destructive and delinquent behaviors of our streets. Staying away from unacceptable behaviors fit the moral values that had been passed on to me. My family’s strong believes in honest hard work, it’s memorable in my heart.  I sought and worked for a better future. This prevented me from being one more number in statistics. The observing the things we do not want to become and those things we envision inspires and gives strength to work for the things that matter most.  Many times, our life path has barriers and obstacles that we must break in order to change or achieve rewards.  We should fight with all our might to change the course of actions because those rewards we are not only for us but, for our family and our society as a whole.
Many adolescents dropout of school and therefore they do not receive a college education.  For Hispanics in the United States, the educational experience is one of accumulated disadvantage. Many Hispanic students begin formalized schooling without the economic and social resources that many other students receive, and schools are often ill equipped to compensate for these initial disparities. For Hispanics, initial disadvantages often stem from parents' immigrant and socioeconomic status and their lack of knowledge about the U.S. education system. As Hispanic students proceed through the schooling system, inadequate school resources and their weak relationships with their teachers continue to undermine their academic success. Initial disadvantages continue to accumulate, resulting in Hispanics having the lowest rates of high school and college degree attainment, which hinders their chances for stable employment. The situation of Hispanic educational attainment is cause for national concern. Despite high educational expectations, Hispanics are among the least educated group in the United States: 11 percent of those over age 25 have earned a bachelor's degree or higher compared with 17 percent of blacks, 30 percent of whites, and 49 percent of Asian Americans in the same age group. Today, most parents and their children believe that a college degree is necessary for obtaining stable and meaningful work. [1]Youths who abandon their studies are more likely to engage in juvenile delinquency than those who continue to pursuit an education past High School. Helping youths get educated reduces the nation’s juvenile delinquencies problems. (sta)Even though a low rate of minorities’ college graduates exists, many adolescents aspire for a bright future.  I believe a one to one mentor program provided by the community would reduce the rate of schools dropout rate. In this research, I see to investigate and analyze the mentor option in facilitating the guide so that more at risk youths reach their educational goals. Kazdin (1993) stated that at-risk referred to the "increased likelihood over base rates in the population that a particular outcome will occur" (p. 129).  In educational settings, a student is at risk by virtue of his or her circumstances and is statistically more likely than others to fail academically. The implementation of a one to one community mentor-ship program will increase minorities’ graduates and decrease juvenile delinquencies.

Literature review
For Hispanics in the United States, the educational experience is one of accumulated disadvantage. Many Hispanic students begin formalized schooling without the economic and social resources that many other students receive, and schools are often ill equipped to compensate for these initial disparities. For Hispanics, initial disadvantages often stem from parents' immigrant and socioeconomic status and their lack of knowledge about the U.S. education system. As Hispanic students proceed through the schooling system, inadequate school resources and their weak relationships with their teachers continue to undermine their academic success. Initial disadvantages continue to accumulate, resulting in Hispanics having the lowest rates of high school and college degree attainment, which hinders their chances for stable employment. The situation of Hispanic educational attainment is cause for national concern. Despite high educational expectations, Hispanics are among the least educated group in the United States: 11 percent of those over age 25 have earned a bachelor's degree or higher compared with 17 percent of blacks, 30 percent of whites, and 49 percent of Asian Americans in the same age group. Today, most parents and their children believe that a college degree is necessary for obtaining stable and meaningful work (Schneider and Stevenson, 1999). This attitude is reflected in the educational expectations parents hold for their children and in the expectations that young people have for themselves (U.S. Department of Education, 1995b, p. 88). High educational expectations can be found among all racial and ethnic groups regardless of their economic and social resources (p. 73). Although parents and children share high educational aims, their aspirations do not necessarily translate into postsecondary matriculation. This is especially the case for Hispanic high school students, particularly those whose parents have not attended college (Nuñez, Cuccaro-Alamin, and Carroll, 1998).
Provided the adolescent's environment and what he knows, he is trying to make it as best as he can. (describe his circumtances)He probably needs coaching and most likely he will go through struggles and failing and getting up. But, one thing is certain, he wants to make it. He is sure that he says that he can do it that he will be able to have success in education. He seemed certain when he affirmed that if others in worse situation made it that he can make it too. He does not see obstacle. He sees his potential and does not give up. One time, he lost all his poems, but his passion is so big, he wrote again and remade his collection. He enjoys reading, writing poems and making music. (more to follow) Establishing a one to one mentor in at risk communities would increase the rate of youth attending college.  I believe, youth need guidance, advices from a role model who has been through educational systems.  A mentor would be there give answer to specific question the adolescent will have and cannot receive from parents.  School guidance counseling is not enough because they tend to not focus on individual circumstances and they focus rather on subject matter and placement of students in the right classes.  A mentor to help guide the youth in the positive right directions would most appropriate and much needed. This mentor must be someone who makes the youth feels comfortable enough for the adolescent to feel comfortable speaking about his problems or situations so the he can receive answers.  During my adolescent years, I did not picture myself speaking to a guidance counselor about little problems such as if interest in a sport activity but I am afraid I am not good enough.  I was shy.  Adolescent need a good support network and which they many times do not have at home.  An adolescent who comes from a family of little education, single parent and of low socioeconomic status as well as living in an at risk community where gangs and drugs prevails is considered at risk of not obtaining a college education.  The adolescent should be match up with a mentor from his community if he or she fits those characteristics.  Parents are not able to properly advise and guide the adolescent to educational success if they do not have an education.  An at-risk student is a student who, by virtue of their circumstances, is statistically more likely than others to fail academically.
Case study
For my research paper, I interviewed a Hispanic adolescent who fits the definition of “at risk”.  This research paper is a case study of adolescent living in at risk community and chances of obtaining a college education. My research is an investigation of a case study to find out how the adolescent sees his situation. The chance of at risk adolescent who lives in at risk community obtains an education. I conducted a case study of a 19 year old male adolescent of Hispanic ethnicity.  For purpose of the study, I will call him Andres.  His mother is single mother living at risk.  An at-risk student is a student who, by virtue of their circumstances, is statistically more likely than others to fail academically.Define at risk. He probably needs coaching and most likely he will go through struggles and failing and getting up. But, one thing is certain, he wants to make it. He is sure that he says that he can do it that he will be able to have success in education. He seemed certain when he affirmed that if others in worse situation made it that he can make it too. He does not see obstacle. He sees his potential and does not give up. One time, he lost his entire poem but his passion is so big, he wrote again and remade his collection. He enjoys wring poem and making music.(more to follow)
 Andre’s parents did not attain an education past elementary school and the family and they are RecentlyMore analysis
Provided the adolescent's environment and what he knows, he is trying to make it as best as he can. He probably needs coaching and most likely he will go through struggles and failing and getting up. But, one thing is certain, he wants to make it. He is sure that he says that he can do it that he will be able to have success in education. He seemed certain when he affirmed that if others in worse situation made it that he can make it too. He does not see obstacle. He sees his potential and does not give up. There was a time when he lost his entire poems collection. But because his passion drove he to write again and he re-created his collection. He enjoys wring poem and making music.(more to follow)
During the interview I asked Andre how he sees himself.  He said “I see himself as a normal regular person who wants to succeed like everyone else in this world”.  In this statement he made a comparison between everyone else and himself. This statement represents a difference exists between people of success and him which is the realization or culmination of education. The fact that he said, “I see myself”, reflects that he sees that others see him different.  This is further supported by choice of words and the way he answered the following question:  “How do you think people see you”?   “I don't really mind how people see me”. I really mind how my family sees me, but people not related to me, I don't care”. This also shows that something is keeping him from achieving success.  Educational statistics show that Andre is considered an at risk youth. Kazdin (1993) stated that at-risk referred to the "increased likelihood over base rates in the population that a particular outcome will occur" (p. 129).  Perhaps he feels certain doors are closed for him making difficult to him to reach his goals.  He also feels that he has the right to have success like everyone else and therefore, what does not have and strong believes in that he too has the right to obtain victory and that no one should stand on his way of his pursuits. To him success would mean obtaining an education and being able to get a good paying job to live comfortable. Being able to change his life for the better, means that he will no longer be subjected to live in need of the basic necessities money provides.  Therefore, desires to create a different identity. He wants to change the course of his future, a different one from the one his family had.
There are little opportunity of a good paying job if a person does not have education which the reason why he desire to attend college.  Yet, he elected to attend a vocational school which does not measure up to a High school education and leaves little room for his acceptance into college.  A good paying job is only attainable through a college education. To obtain a college education, a High School education is most appropriate because that edification prepares us for college work.  This is an example of where a mentor would have come to play a big role.  At times, a young person wants to do the right things but elect the wrong choices because of their inexperience and not necessarily because they want to do the wrong things.
References
1.The Impact of Mentoring on Academic Achievement of At-Risk Youth. Tompson, L.A, Kelly-Vance, L. http://friendsofthechildrenboston.org/mentors/articles/Thompson
2. Journal of Youth and Adolescence.  Identity formation in Adolecence.  Change or Stability?. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles
Barriers to Educational Opportunities for Hispanics in the United States
Recording data.
Mine. I don’t know if the other recording was kept but will continue from here on.
Please do not touch my recorder gain. Smile.  That is not for you to touch.  That is for your voice to go in there. Kidding but meant it.
Mine. Tell me about your Goals. What are you doing to achieve your goals?
C. Well, right now I am not doing anything. My first step is to finish HS after that…I will try to go to college. I have already the contact, a friend of mine she will try to set me up so I can try to go to college for free.  After that, then I going to pick the career that I want to do.
Mine. Ok.  Well, it sounds like you are on the right path. The thing about college is that is ok to in not knowing yet what you are going to major in because you still have time to explore.  So, I do want to encourage you to go to college to get an education.
Data 1
Mine. What could help reach those goals or what are your obstacles?
C. I could do whatever I want. There is no obstacle on the way.
Mine No?
C. NO, not at all.  There are people who come from way worse situation than I and they make it and if they make it, I can make it too.
Mine. Yes, I like you positivism. I really like that.
Mine.  You basically feel you can do anything….
C. I feel I can do it.  If I keep repeating that to myself then I will. I just really have to be consistent in my beliefs in order to make it.
Mine What do you feel proud about?
C. Mostly, I like to read. I like writing poems and I never give up on working on that even when a mishap happens.  I lost my work twice, but I continue to write.
Mine So, you do have some skills? That is skills.  It is art. (me surprised)
Yeap.
Mine So, you feel most proud about that part of you
C. Yea.
Mine On that note, how do you think people see you?

C. I have no idea how people see me and I don’t really mind because I got to see myself for things I think are best for me.  I don’t really mind how people see me. I really mind how my family sees me but people not related to me, I don’t care.
Mine How do you see yourself?
C. I see myself as a good person. I am on the right path I may sometimes be let’s say well you know when you get to that question I may get to that question…
Maybe I won’t. Give it to me.
Mine About family related. I may argue with my Mom. Like, I recognize that is the only bad thing I have, besides that, I am good.

Mine Ok.  But, I lot of times that is pretty normal during adolescence years.
Mine You know most adolescents argue with their parents
C. So, if that is not included, then I see myself as a good person.
Mine It is not included; but it is included in the sense that everyone seems to go through that phase and it does not mean that you are a bad person.
C. Ok. So the question was…how I see myself.  I see myself as a normal regular person that wants to succeed like everyone else in this world.
Mine Are you ambitious?
C. Yes, pretty ambitious.   Not in a bad way though.
Mine No, in a good way.

Mine What school do you go to?
C. Piscataway Vocational School
Mine Where is that?
Mine In Piscataway
Mine Wait, how come you don’t go to New Brunswick High school?
C. I don’t go to that school, because Piscataway Vocational School trains you for a specific skill and recommend you for a job that pays minimum $15 hourly.
Mine Did you pick that school?  How come you did not go to New Brunswick High School for example?
C. First reason, my Mom did not want me to go there and at first I wanted to go but then I said no.
Why?
C.I am not going to go there. I rather go to Piscataway Vocational School because that is the best choice. At that school, I can pick my main career and from there after I am done with school,
I choose Vocational Tech School because it is the best option for me.  I choose three careers.
 Automobile-got excluded because I did not want to wear the attire.
 barber- was for females so I exclude myself.
Culinary Arts. I did not want to do just cleaning and that all I seem to be doing.  So, the teacher also excluded me out.
Computer-last option.
Mine Because my Mom did not want me to go there.
Mine Why
C. Because of the problem, fight, family member problems and I would be getting confused as of my family member.
Mine Ok.

Mine How do people friends see u?
C. They don’t see me as a bad person. I respect them, they respect me
C. I don’t know how they see me and I really don’t care.  What I think that I know is as best I believe I am because we don’t ever get to truly know ourselves.
Mine. True.
Mine How do you think your mom sees you?
C. I know she doesn’t see me as good as I see myself.  That question you need to ask her whenever you have the time. But, I don’t think she sees me as I see myself?
Mine How do you think she sees you?
C. I am not going to answer that because that is something she would have to answer.
Mine. But, you know.. you know. How she sees you. (Here, he ask to pass the question) Said, go on..
Mine Ok.
C. I may know. But, I will not answer.
Mine Ok
Mine What is like living with your Mom?
C.I don’t feel uncomfortable.
Mine Tell me the Good and Bad
C. good-she has done a lot for us. Bad-she fights too much. She argues over anything. Besides that she is fine. She is still my Mom though.


Mine Of Course! She is your Mom and you love her no matter what.
Mine But, we cannot deny that at times we do wish it was better such as if she could change a bit.
Mine If there was something, you would change about her, what would it be?
C.I don’t have the power to change her because only God can change her but if I did I would make her a person who argues less. Don’t argue, and if you do, don’t argue as much as you do because this is beyond normal level.
Mine What does she argue about?
C. Little things. Big things. About anything.  For example, she would argue about a dish I did not promptly take to the kitchen after eating.
He said, I am already feeling uncomfortable.
Mine No, is ok. We are almost done.
Mine Can you give me some examples of perhaps, instances when you got frustrated and the reasons?
I don’t get frustrated. I get mad and or I raise my voice
Mine If you display anger is that not a sign of frustration?
C. No, I really don’t get frustrated.  I just raise my voice to get her to listen.
I don’t even go out. I am scorpion. I like to be by myself. I am kind of shy so I don’t feel comfortable being among people.


Mine Is Ok not going out?
Yea, I rather stay at home
Mine What do you like to do for fun?
C. I like to go to the park, play catch, play basketball.
Mine It doesn’t have to be out to party.  It can be just leaving the house to the park.
C. Well, if when I have the resources, the money and the things I like to stay home have a drink
Mine Do you drink alcohol?
C. Yea!
Mine Have you gotten drunk?
C. Not drunk not drunk

Mine How many times you have gotten drunk?
C.I don’t know.
Mine A lot! Like five? More,
C. Maybe 10? I don’t know.
Mine How bad have you gotten drunk?
C.Not overdrunk. I can control myself; I know what I am doing. Like I go to the bathroom where I am away from people, I am walking dizzy in the bathroom and when I get out I play it off.  People don’t notice because they are drunk themselves. Not super drunk. I have thrown up in the bathroom but I know how to do things. I play things off.  I know how to do things.  If I know that I am drunk, I would just be with a beer and no one would notice.
Mine What places you have gotten drunk at?
C.I don’t drink that way when I go out.  But, at home yea. At home in the house

Mine Do you have a driver’s license?
C. No, I am working on getting a permit.

Mine What does your mother says about you drinking?
C. She always says don’t be drinking too much.

Social language/Identity
James Gee defines identity as: “Being recognized as a certain ‘kind of person,’ in a given context…” (p.99).[16] Gee talks of identity differences based on social and cultural views of identity and identifies four of these views, each of which are influenced by different forms of power, though they all have an effect on one another. Gee describes them as “four ways to formulate questions about how identity is functioning for a specific person (child or adult) in a given context or across a set of contexts” (p. 101).[16]
 “[T]he institutional perspective (or I-identities)” (p. 102) [16] refers to identities set by authorities within an institution. An example of an I-identity is a student, whose identity is defined by the school as an institution with rules and traditions the student must follow. Gee claims these I-identities can be something imposed on a person, such as being a prisoner, or can be a calling for the person, such as being a college professor.[16] The third perspective Gee identifies is the “discursive perspective (or D-identities)” (p. 103).[16] D-identity refers to an individual trait, such as caring. D-identities are a matter of social interaction that only become identities because “other people treat, talk about, and interact” with the person in ways that bring forth and reinforce the trait (p. 103).[16] According to Gee “D-identities can be placed on a continuum in terms of how active or passive one is in ‘recruiting’ them, that is, in terms of how much such identities can be viewed as merely ascribed to a person versus an active achievement or accomplishment of that person” (p. 104).[16]
The final identity perspective Gee identifies is the “affinity perspective (or A-identities)” (p. 105).[16] A-identities are built by shared experiences as part of an affinity group, which according to Gee’s definition is a group that share “allegiance to, access to, and participation in specific practices” (p. 105).[16] Joining these groups must be something the person has chosen to do and feels a part of in order for the A-identity to be built. Gee explains this further by stating, “While I could force someone to engage in specific practices, I really cannot coerce anyone into seeing the particular experiences connected to those practices as constitutive (in part) of the ‘kind of person’ they are” (p. 106).[16]



[1]

No comments:

Post a Comment